When: August 29-30, 2018
Where: Clover Park Technical College in Lakewood, Washington
The New Faculty Institute is an annual two-day immersion into the foundational knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary for practitioners to “thrive” (as opposed to merely survive) in the challenging and ever-increasingly-complex faculty role.
Each year, the NFI is a rare opportunity for faculty who teach in all 3 mission areas (Basic Education for Adults, Workforce, and Academic-Transfer) to collaboratively discover what they have in common through a sustained and multi-faceted inquiry into creating success— in the institution and in the classroom. In addition, this is a valuable time to learn from colleagues who teach at different colleges in the Washington State CTC system.
- defeating imposter syndrome by intentionally developing your professional identity as a two year college faculty member;
- avoiding petty conflict with colleagues through leveraging constructive controversy;
- identifying key leadership competencies you already possess … and those which you wish to develop over the span of your career;
- cultivating an equity mindset;
- research-based teaching practices that create equitable learning environments for all students;
- employing formative and summative assessment techniques that ensure student learning;
- fostering healthy relationships with students in a professional context;
- assignment design as an equity strategy.
I hope you’ll encourage and support your “new” faculty to attend this unique professional learning experience designed to make explicit the connections between faculty success and student success.